Can I Have My Marriage Annulled?
When two spouses have their marriage annulled, the court terminates that marriage by determining that it is invalid and treats it as if it never existed. The option of annulment isn't available to everyone. In order to qualify for an annulment, the spouses' marriage must fall under one of various special circumstances. A marriage in the state of California can be annulled if any of the following is true:
- The marriage is incestuous (the spouses are close blood relatives)
- The marriage is bigamous (one spouse is already marriage to one or more others)
- The marriage was a result of fraud (one of the spouses was deceived concerning information that was vital to his or her decision to marry the other person)
- One of the spouses (the person requesting the annulment) was under the age of 18 when he or she got married.
- One of the spouses entered into the marriage by force.
- One of the spouses was of "unsound mind" or incapable of understanding what he or she was committing to when entering into the marriage.
- One of the spouses was physically incapacitated (or physically unable to consummate the marriage) and that individual's incapacity persists and is considered incurable.
- One of the spouses was already legally married at the time of the more recent marriage. (This differs from the bigamy ground for annulment in that the offending spouse, prior to the new marriage, must have been absent for at least five years from the previous marriage prior. Furthermore, it must have not been known whether that spouse was still living.)
If your marriage falls into one of these categories, you will likely be eligible for an annulment. It is also possible to get a domestic partnership annulled under the same criteria.
Roseville Lawyer Guiding You Through Your Annulment
Do you need to prove that you qualify for annulment? If so, our Roseville attorney at the Law Offices of Frank F. Ali can advocate on your behalf! Attorney Frank F. Ali can help you present the necessary facts and evidence before the court so that you can strengthen your chances of getting your marriage of domestic partnership annulled. Contact the Law Offices of Frank F. Ali for legal support!